On November 19th, the Steel Drum Ensembles of both Seminole Springs Elementary School and Eustis Middle School, under the Direction of Ed Anderson and Gerry Ricke, will be performing with the University of Florida Steel Drum Band on their Winter Concert at the University of Florida. The Concert will be held at the University Concert Hall on the Campus of UF, MUB 701, at We would like to invite you to join us for this experience. We are looking forward to bringing the excellence of Lake County Music to the University of Florida and getting the opportunity to see a performance by the Sunshine State Steelers.
Why would a student want to participate in The Steel Drum Ensemble at The Eustis Middle School? It does require extra practice times. The children practice before and after school on certain days of the week. This practice takes time out of the lives of the children who participate. It is the benefits the entire community. For a campus map please go to http://campusmap.ufl.edu or call (352) 392-3261.
Playing Steel Drums have many positive benefits for children, including enhanced academic performance, social skills, mental and emotional health.
The hands-on interaction the children get with drums and percussion instruments is something they’ll never forget and it can only broaden their awareness of other cultures in the world.
Studies have shown that drumming:
- Improves your child’s overall scholastic performance.
- Shows that children actively engaged in an arts education are likely to have higher academic test scores.
- Develops skills needed by the 21st century workforce: critical thinking, creative problem solving, effective communication, teamwork and more.
- Teaches children to be more tolerant and open.
- Allow your child to express themselves creatively and bolster their self-confidence.
- Keep students engaged in school and less likely to drop out.If you are interested in sponoring or funding either elementary or middle school programs or need more information on the concert please contact Cherrice Purvee firstname.lastname@example.org